zaterdag 17 mei 2008

They'll have to catch us first.


About a week ago, I was in my usual record store and saddened by the fact that the records I ordered still weren't in I looked around a bit, and then I found this CD, which was 25% off from 4 euros, I looked at the track list and I immediately decided to buy it. The CD is a compilation by independent record label "Domino". This label is unique because of being very succesfull and still remaining to use the same good concept. In this compilation they let us listen to known and unknown artists, and it's a good combination. "Domino" always does the trick. But the CD is two years old, so most of the unknown are now known, which means the label did a good job again. Personal highlights are the songs by Franz Ferdinand (I can't believe two years ago I was tired of them and 1 live performance later I was a big fan again...), Clearlake and Test Icicles.

Here is the complete track listing:
1. Psapp - King Of You
2. Adem - You And Moon
3. Franz Ferdinand - L.Wells
5. Archie Bronson Outfit - Dart For My Sweetheart
6. Sons And Daughters - Taste The Last Girl
7. Test Icicles - Circle Square Triangle
9. Quasi - Peace And Love
10. Tortoise And Bonnie Prince Billy - Daniel
11. Four Tet - A Joy
12. The Television Personalities - My Dark Places
13. Junior Boys - Like A Child
14. Juana Molina - La Verdad

And a review I found on the web, that I just think is completely right:
"Catch Us If You Can is a fourteen track selection box for your listening delectation. Some of it is current. Some of it is imminent. And some of it was just getting ready to settle in the memory, like the sediment in a delicious bottle of organic ginger-beer.
56 minutes and 29 seconds of upper-echelon envelope-pushing. If you like it all, you're Domino c-in-c Laurence Bell. If you don't like any of it, there's something seriously wrong with you."
(Ben Thompson, March 2006)

Geen opmerkingen: