zaterdag 17 mei 2008

6 years Culture Club

A bit more than two weeks ago, a friend and I went to celebrate the six year anniversary of Culture Club, a famous dance club in Ghent. Like most of their big parties, it was held in the Eskimofabriek, an old ice cream factory. The night began in search of this location, but after a few talks with a couple of bus drivers, we knew what direction to take and we were there pretty much on time. Maybe even a bit too early because the place wasn't really jumping... But hey, we made the best of it and started the night off with Brodinski, "the best act at Soulwaxmas" was a popular opinion. To me it was a bit to trashy, not really an eveningstarter, he couldn't get the crowd going. Maybe good in the past but at this party he failed. So after a while tired by the hardcore electro sounds, we went to room2, the RnB room, Black Frank was dj-ing, he played some fine classics and did a pretty good set, but we couldn't stay because Goose was going to begin their set, last time I saw them I was f*cking impressed, they had good taste and their mixes were perfect, so from then on I was sure they could kick ass as live performers but also as DJs, so I hoped this time they kept me in this belief. And guess what? They did! The crowd went wild and immediately began to dance, they were AGAIN amazing. But I had to leave to ream to see another cool guy Willie Wartaal, the fat black guy of De Jeugd Van Tegenwoordig, a Dutch Rap Group, he came with his semi-electro formation Aka The Junkies and as a solo-Dj, and I found out he isn't only a kick ass rapper but a really good DJ too. Sometimes we also went to the third room but nothing really happened there, there wasn't much of a crowd and the DJs pretty much sucked, this didn't promise very much for Hercules and Love Affair. When we saw Hercules and Love Affair, the act my friend was waiting for, the set was very disco-inspired, and the crowd was pretty weird but still I had fun at this glamorous Dj-set. Back in room1 The Subs ended their live performance I was sad that I didn't see it all, because what I saw was great, they're great Djs and the singer is giving all he's got. The Subs rule! Then Felix Da Housecat, the first DJ I ever saw when I was like 12, started his set, and it's was pretty much regular Felix-stuff, not very innovative but still fun. Afterwards we ended the night with a combination of the three rooms, a bit of Davidov, TLP, Maxim Lany and Aeroplane. Then we started the journey back, with no busses and really tired legs, it wasn't the most fun part of the evening...

Back home inspired by the artwork of the Culture Club flyers, website,... I dediced to make some pics. So I made my name in their font and then my friend who accompanied me that night also asked me to make it for him. So these are the result:
But "Pete Fox" adjusted his a bit, because he just loves red. People liked the pics and two friends even asked to make one for them too. Here are the onces I made for Ann-Sofie en Dries.

Geen opmerkingen: